The Texas AFL-CIO is a statewide labor federation and serves as the leading voice for working families in Texas. We are looking for a talented Lead Digital Organizer who is committed to building power for workers in Texas to join our team.
Our goal is to build upon our cutting-edge, innovative and effective digital campaign operation and we are looking for a creative and strategic thinker interested in being an integral part of our political, communications and organizing programs.
The Lead Digital Organizer will be responsible for working with State Federation leaders and staff to create and implement e-mail, social and other digital media strategy for organizing, legislative and political campaigns.
● Developing and executing digital strategies for our political, legislative, organizing and issue<
campaigns. Developing political, policy and rapid response messaging in coordination with the
Director of Politics & Policy and the Communications Director
● Elevating the profile and image of the Texas AFL-CIO and the broader labor movement through strategic messaging campaigns
● Designing, executing and tracking email, social and other digital media tactics for organizing, legislative and political campaigns
● Researching, writing, and editing dynamic and effective online mobilization communications using e-mail, text messaging, video and other online tools
● Growing, maintaining and utilizing data and related information in order to increase our digital footprint and ability to organize
● Tracking and analyzing campaign metrics and using that data to come up with new tactics to keep our program on the cutting-edge
● Leading graphic intensive projects for print and digital communications
● Overseeing digital components for annual union conventions, rallies and special projects
● Planning, promoting, co-hosting and editing the weekly “Lonestar Labor Pod”
● Promoting the Texas AFL-CIO work and affiliate campaigns to outside digital outlets
● Researching, recommending and using emerging digital technologies and channels
● Training and being a resource for affiliated and allied state and local organizations on online
organizing, communications, best practices and tools, and working closely with them to determine how our department can support their campaign work; this includes updating and maintaining the existing content hub
● Implementing and amplifying our branding guidelines on social media
● Acting as a liaison with vendors who manage and run our campaign tools
● Maintaining merchandise store
● Other duties as assigned
We understand that some great candidates will not meet every qualification on this list. We encourage those interested in the position to apply, even if you’re missing some of the items
● Strong background in or strong familiarity with the labor movement, movements for progressive social
change and political or issue campaigns, and an understanding of issues facing unions members and
● Proven digital campaign experience (labor, political, or other activism) with demonstrated experience in email or web copywriting
● Experience designing, executing and tracking successful e-mail, digital ad, SMS, social media and other online advocacy campaigns and programs
● Strong editorial and writing ability, including the ability to quickly turn around compelling copy in an authentic voice that resonates with our audiences
● Keen understanding of Texas politics and policymaking and the ability to respond rapidly to political and policy items impacting the labor movement
● Experience with social media management with a special focus on growing communities on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and podcast platforms
● Ability to develop creative ideas for mobilizing members and integrating online and offline activism
● Experience with Canva and/or Adobe Illustrator for graphic design
● Experience with Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) systems, including Action Network
● Advanced knowledge of the latest online tools and emerging technologies; experience developing and managing data systems and working with data management tools is a plus
● Excellent time-management and organizational skills. Must be able to multitask and prioritize
● Ability to work collaboratively, yet independently, within the context of a plan
● Excellent communication skills
● Ability to work long and extended hours when needed and willingness to engage in some travel as
● Ability to work in person during normal business hours
The job is covered by the collective bargaining agreement in our workplace with OPEIU 277, and the salary for this position is $59,731, but in special cases can be adjusted depending on experience and qualifications and carries a very competitive benefits package, including health care and pension. We are seeking to fill the job a soon as possible and applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Interested applicants should email resume and cover letter describing your interest in this work to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put only your "Name – Lead Digital Organizer" in the subject line. Please also include a sample that demonstrates the quality of your work.
The Texas AFL-CIO is committed to Equal Opportunity, and to considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We especially encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.