Skip to main content

Unemployment Insurance - "How To" Guide

Social share icons

Unemployment Insurance Resources

The link to set up a log-in to apply for benefits:

Tutorial on How to Apply Online:

Once you have an unemployment benefits claim, you can sign up for Electronic Correspondence for online access to your unemployment benefits correspondence. 

Tutorial on How to Calculate Earnings:

Tele-Center Phone Number & Hours

To speak with a customer service representative, call an unemployment benefits Tele-Center. Business hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Central Time.

Call: 800-939-6631

Tele-Serv Phone Number & Hours

To request payment for weeks of unemployment, get payment information or the status of your claim, get general information about unemployment benefits, and establish or change your PIN, call Tele-Serv, TWC's automated telephone system. Claim status and payment request options are available daily, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Central Time. General information is available anytime.

Call: 800-558-8321

Online Services & Information

Internet service is generally faster than calling an unemployment benefits Tele-Center.

 In order to apply you will need:

  • Last employer's business name and address
  • First and last dates (month, day and year) you worked for your last employer
  • Number of hours worked and pay rate if you worked this week (including Sunday)
  • Information related to your normal wage
  • Alien Registration Number (if not a U.S. citizen or national)

If I was fired or quit my job, can I collect benefits?

Once your application for Unemployment Benefits is submitted, TWC will investigate the reason you are no longer working. If TWC determines that you were not fired for misconduct connected with your work or you quit your job for a work-related or medical reason, you may be eligible for Unemployment Benefits. TWC will notify you by mail of any decisions.

Can I speak to someone in person about my claim?

After you complete your application for Unemployment Benefits, allow a few days before calling a TWC Tele-Center for specific information about your claim application.

How do I get my Unemployment Benefit payment?

If you qualify for benefits, TWC will deposit benefit payments to your TWC debit card account unless you sign up for direct deposit. To sign up for direct deposit, or to change your payment option:

How do I prove wages or earnings?

Proof of Wages and/or Work are documents that you must provide to close a disqualification. You may substitute any of the documents listed below only if your name, Social Security Number and the employer's name, address, and phone number are on the documents:

  • Check stubs
  • An employer letter with:
    • Name and Social Security Number
    • Beginning date of employment
    • Ending date of employment (if applicable)
    • The employer's name, address and telephone number
    • The total amount of wages earned
  • W-2 Forms (You must be able to identify the specific time frame covered by the W-2)
  • 1099 Forms (You must be able to identify the specific time frame covered by the W-2)

For other Frequently Asked Questions about Unemployment Insurance, visit Unemployment Insurance Benefits Information.